The GCRF One Heath Poultry Hub is an interdisciplinary research programme addressing the need to meet rising demand for poultry meat and eggs in low-and-middle income countries while minimising risk to animal and public health. Working in Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka and Vietnam, we seek to understand how and why intensification of poultry production increases risk of infectious diseases and AMR. We aim to identify high-risk behaviours, process and environments and will test and evaluate interventions to improve control and transmission of disease. The Hub is funded by the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) until March 2024.
Who we are
The GCRF One Health Poultry Hub is led by Professor Fiona Tomley of the Royal Veterinary College (RVC), London. The programme manager is Dr Daan Vink. The Hub comprises 27 partners in Asia, Australia, Europe and the UK.
Our study country teams are led by National Coordinators. These are:
- Bangladesh: Professor Md Ahasanul Hoque, Chattogram Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU).
- India: Dr Prakash Koringa, Anand Agricultural University and Professor Muthusamy Raman, Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (TANUVAS).
- Sri Lanka: Dr Ruwani Kalupahana, University of Peradeniya.
- Vietnam: Professor Ton Dinh Vu, Vietnam National University of Agriculture.
Hub members with a particular interest in antimicrobial usage, antimicrobial resistance, alternatives to antimicrobials, and/or community engagement include
- Bangladesh: Dr Md Abdus Samad, Bangladesh Livestock Research Institute; Professor Paritosh Biswas and Professor Nitish Debnath, CVASU.
- Belgium: Dr Marius Gilbert, Université Libre de Bruxelles.
- India: Professor Rajib Dasgupta, Jawaharlal Nehru University; Dr P Kumaravel, TANUVAS; Dr Madhvi Joshi, Gujarat Biotechnology Research Centre.
- Singapore: Professor Patricia Conway, Nanyang Technological University
- Sri Lanka: Dr Palika Fernando, Veterinary Research Institute; Dr Ruwani Kalupahana and Dr Madura Munasinghe, University of Peradeniya.
- UK: Dr Ayako Ebata and Dr Syed Abbas, Institute of Development Studies, UK; Dr Pablo Alarcon-Lopez, Professor Damer Blake, Mr Matt Hennessey, Dr Ana Mateus, Dr Ludovic Pelligand and Professor Ayona Silva-Fletcher, RVC; Professor Sunetra Gupta and Dr Jose Lourenco, University of Oxford; Dr Richard Stabler and Professor Brendan Wren, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- Vietnam: Professor Dang Duc Ahn and Dr Nguyen Dong Tu, National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology; Dr Dang Thi Thanh Son, Dr Luu Quynh Huong and Dr Pham Thi Ngoc, National Institute of Veterinary Research; Mr Ngo Trung Thanh, Vietnam National university of Agriculture
A complete list of our leadership team and membership of our External Advisory Board can be found on the Governance page of our website. All our investigators can be found in the website’s People section.